Mon - Fri: 8:00 - 4:30
Sat-Sun Closed

(201) 573-1800

53 Park Avenue
Park Ridge, NJ 07656


Procedure for Obtaining a Marriage or Civil Union License

To Obtain a Marriage or Civil Union License:

Marriage License Applications
**$28 fee is now being waived for marriage license applications, effective July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023**

taken by
 appointment only



The Marriage or Civil Union License shall be issued by the Registrar in the Municipality in which either party resides and is valid in any Municipality in the State of New Jersey.  

If neither are RESIDENTS of New Jersey, the application is to be made in the Municipality where the proposed Marriage or Civil Union is to be performed.

Requirements (NO Exceptions) 

Required documents when applying for a Marriage/Civil Union License: 

  1. Proof of identity by presenting your birth certificate, driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
  2. Proof of your residency.
  3. Your social security card or social security number. 
  4. A witness, 18 years of age or older.
    The $28 application fee. (Cash or check made payable to the Borough Of Park Ridge) 

5.     If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have had a civil union annulled, please bring the decree(s) or the civil annulment documents.

6.     If your former spouse/civil union or domestic partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate.

*Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential.

Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation. 

Requested additional documents (these documents are helpful but not required): 

  1. A copy of your birth certificate to establish your parents’ names and related birth information.


There is a 72-hour waiting period (3 days) to process the application.

After the waiting period you will return to the Registrar to pick up your License.  

Five days after the ceremony. Your Marriage/Civil Union certificate must be sent to the City, Township or Borough that your ceremony took place in.